[Dailydrool] is our quirky girl like any others?

Lynn & Linda Ferrell ldferrell at msn.com
Sun Jul 17 16:13:58 PDT 2011

Our basset Zoey is 12 years old and getting quirkier all the time. She has
developed in the past couple of years a fear of thunderstorms and fireworks.
This has worsened and morphed into fear of noises of many types (planes,
motorcycles, sounds on the television or outdoors, etc.). In addition, she
is afraid of the dark. This may be an association with the darkness of
storms and fireworks. She is more afraid of any noise in the dark.  With the
very helpful recommendation of Momperson Bev on the DD, Zoey has had good
results on Composure. Because of the noise fears, our vet has told us to
keep her on a maintenance dose all the time, with additional doses for major
events like storms or fireworks. Thankfully, Zoey is much more able to
manage her fear. She is wary, but not frantic. She does not try to climb up
on/over everything and everyone. She will go in the bathroom (on her own)
during loud noise and we turn on the fan and she lays down and goes to
sleep.

Every night when it starts to get dark, she starts her pacing and wariness.
She does not want to go out after dark and if she does it is for a quick pee
and nothing more. When we go upstairs she gets in the bathtub, storm or not,
and goes right to sleep. Since the 4th of July she has slept every night in
the tub. It seems to be her safe spot. She used to sleep on our bed, but
does not like to be up off the floor when she thinks there is something to
fear. She had been sleeping in her bed on the floor of our room, but not
since the 4th. Are there any other hounds out there who have this sort of
pattern and/or the love of the tub?

We love our girl. She may be quirky, but she is a total sweetheart. Thanks
for any input you have on these behaviors.