[Dailydrool] Those darn flies

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Mon Jul 25 11:30:52 PDT 2011

Flies are always a problem us in the summer. They will sit on top of my dogs heads and make little bumps in the skin on their headbone.
I buy disposable fly traps that have an packet of dry attractant inside them. You add water and when it's full of dead flies you snap the top down and to th e bag and dissolve the attractant then hang it any place outdoors that the flies are a problem. Once it's full of dead flies you snap the top down and toss it in the garbage. They come in two sizes. I've used them for several years in my goat barn, kennel building and even on the back deck. They're sold at farm stores and such but I've also found them at WalMart The flies crawl inside through openings at the top . The flies are attracted by the odor and can't get out once they're inside the trap. I like these better than the jar type since they are disposable and the odor isn't as intense. You can see through the bag that holds the flies. They also make them for wasps and hornets too.

I also use a fly spray made for horses that is also labeled as being safe for dogs. Read the label on the back. It's made by Absorbine and comes in a quart spray bottle. I've also used the wipes with the same product in them for trips to places where flies are an issue.I've used this product for decades with no ill affects.

Jacqie