[Dailydrool] THANK YOU and Copper's Tribute

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:32:32 PDT 2011

I wanted to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and well wishes I
received when Copper went to the bridge last week.  It's taken me almost a
week to be able to read most of them without breaking down, but it helped so
much to know that all of my DD friends were supporting me.

A few months after our first basset Aeryn went to the bridge suddenly at 10
years old, we began looking to rescue another basset.  I contacted
several Southern CA rescues to see what was available.  I specified to my
daughter (and the foster daughter I had at the time) no puppies and no
seniors.  We don't have time for a puppy and we don't have the money for
senior vet bills.

So off to the dog park we go one Sunday to see two 3-4 year old bassets that
the local rescue had available.  It was a "basset hound meetup" day so all
the fosters and other local bassets were at the park together.  When we
arrived the rescue coordinator told us that one of the foster moms just
called from her driveway crying her eyes out at the idea of giving up her
foster, and had opted to become a foster failure.  The other basset we were
to see hadn't arrived yet, so why didn't we play with the bassets that were
there while we waited.

The girls took off, and I settled down on a proffered blanket in the park.
A few minutes later this complete train wreck of a basset comes wandering
up, ribs showing (26 lbs), fur falling out in patches, and a skin-tag the
size of a lime hanging off his belly.  Without further ado he climbs into my
lap and settles down like he belonged there.

Tell me about this basset I said to the rescue lady.  Well, he's not really
up for adoption yet, we just got him last week and as you see no one is
really going to want him in the shape he's in.  He's 10 years old and at a
bout 1/2 his weight.  Animal control took him from a house that had him tied
up on a rope in the back yard for two solid years, and when he got skinny
enough from the intermittent feedings he was getting, the neighbors FINALLY
called animal control.  We've been calling him Copper for the last week and
he already answers to it.

Well as you can imagine, Copper had me all picked out as his new slave and
he wormed his way into my heart in minutes.  I want to adopt this one I told
the rescue lady much to her surprise.  Are you sure?  Yes I'm sure.  Well
okay...

So I got Copper, who settled in to the good life immediately and within
months was up to a healthy 55 lbs, had beautiful if a bit grey fur, and had
the offending skin-tag removed.  He was my Velcro hound, who had to be in
whatever room I was in at all times.  I got wooden steps so he could get on
and off the couch with ease, and an orthopedic memory foam dog bed for his
arthritis.  He spent his 5 years with us as spoiled as a basset can be, and
I wouldn't have traded a minute of it for a younger, healthier hound.  I'm a
big lover of senior bassets now, and when the time is right I will no doubt
be in search of another.

It should be noted that not only did we bring home a senior basset that day,
despite my assertions against it, my girls fell in love with a 10 month old
buppy the same day, and we took home not one but two "forbidden" bassets
that day.  Elphaba is a happy 6 years old now and misses her brother
terribly, but has two Suluki hound (basset wannabees) at the house to keep
her company for now.

Thanks again for all the love and drool.

Brenda- momslave to Elphaba and Copper (ATB)