[Dailydrool] Another thought on pilling

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 13:57:56 PDT 2011

Our cat, Duncan, is rather hard to give pills to. So one of the vets we saw when he got a UTI told me to put some butter on the pill before I tried slipping it into his mouth. It worked really well.

It helps with pilling bassets too, though if they spit it out, and you have to pick up a really slippery, butter- and drool-covered capsule, you may wish you hadn't done it.

Getting that pill in the back of the throat, far enough in so that it slips down, is an art form. Some days I am an artist; other days I'm a finger painter. When it works, I give the butter credit.

Happily I never had to pill Abner this way--I would have lost my hands. He ate anything quite happily, even the fake liver pills. Cat pilling a dog who bites or snaps is NOT an option.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets