[Dailydrool] This & That

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:05:49 PDT 2011

Thanks for sending the Mommy's Home Dance, Dale. Too cute! And what a
beautiful boy Snoopy is.

Jersey was very ill when she came to us. She had some form of kennel cough
that had morphed into a horrible bacterial sinus infection. The poor girl
sounded like someone had shoved a garden hose up her nose and we won't even
talk about the stuff that was coming out of it. Anyway, that was when we
first found out that she will bite. Our wonderful vet wanted her to get an
antibiotic right then and did what we would all do.....opened her mouth to
shove a pill in there. Well, Jersey made it VERY clear that she was far too
dignified to allow that to happen and tried to bite his fingers off! We have
never tried it since then. Needless to say, we're going to be in deep you
know what if we ever have to give this old girl a pill on an empty stomach
because the only way she'll take them is buried in a hot dog. Our Suzy takes
Proin twice a day and I'm able to just plunk it down her throat. We've never
had to give Ginger a pill but, every now and then in the morning when I'm
still in a coma, I accidentally grab Ginger instead of Suzy to give the pill
to and Ginger gives me the hairy eyeball. Fortunately, I've realized that
I've got the wrong dog before I actually shove the pill in there but I've
kind of wondered what Ginger would do if I proceeded. She has that kind of
wild eyed look about her when I've started and I have a feeling that my
fingers would definitely be in jeopardy.

My daughter and I went to NY for a week to visit family and we took Suzy
with us since she has her bladder issues. It's so fun traveling with her!
I'm really glad that we have dogs that people seem to automatically want to
pet. Every time we stopped at a rest stop, people would come over and ask if
they or their kids could pet Suzy. There is something about basset hounds
that make people just automatically think that they're friendly. My daughter
made the comment that no one EVER asks to pet her dogs. I think the fact
that they're huge (she has the mastiffs that spend a lot of time with the
Houndettes) tends to put people off just a bit!

Gates are wonderful things to have when you have a fenced yard until some
bonehead leaves the thing unlatched. The DH was the only one home the last
time the gate magically opened and he had our four plus my daughters two
mastiffs here at the time. I guess it was a total panic getting all six back
in the yard but some of the neighbors helped and no one got lost or hurt.
Locks went on both gates the same afternoon and only four people in the
whole world have the codes. The poor guy just about had a heart attack and
we decided that we're never going to risk that again! We're having a BIG
tree in our back yard cut down next week and part of the fence is going to
have to be taken apart when they bring this tree down. It should be
interesting getting the four Houndettes in and out to potty for a couple of
days. Thank doG that Suzy is the only one with a bladder problem and I don't
have a foster dog or two here right now!

I'm glad to be home. Even though I had Suzy with me, I missed my other
Houndettes while we were gone and they missed me. We have a routine that we
follow just about every day and I think it's almost as important to me as it
is to them!

We're sending heart healing and get well drool mixed with prayers from me to
all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger