[Dailydrool] Pierre Jr. a CGC

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:44:02 PDT 2011

Well, after a sleepless night, and a gurgle belly I took the 45 minute drive, a little later than I planned, and got to the site of AKC canine activity.  It was a super hot day today, and I suppose I should have kept the a/c off in the car so the differential would be less when we got into the elements.  The tree I found to park under was the weakest one, but at least it was a tree, and it was not open sun.  The event was planned to start at 10.  I got there at 9:30, and a lady who had a lovely shady spot got there at 7:30.  Live and learn, as I went to test Jr. for his CGC, and I planned to give him a couple of agility runs, but it was way to hot for that in the end.  I let Jr. take the path of his choice to the testing area.  A kind man instructed me to not let Jr. sniff a patch of brumble because there was poison ivy in the patch to which I am highly allergic (as well as deer fly bites that I got last night, and my ankle is huge beyond belief).  We registered at the CGC booth, learn our time is about an hour away, and low an behold, I run into a friend.  I was in a pinch, who a could trust to hold Jr. while I went to the porta-potty, and I remembered that last year, if you wait too long, it is a big mistake, but since Ann was there, I had relief.  She was a receptionist at Assisted Living where Mom was , and now she is retired but still volunteers there.  She supports canine companions, but once upon a time, she was the tester for the CGC test, and while I pottied, she held Pierre for the supervised separation.  I asked her to do the grooming test, and Jr. was great.  I asked her to hold him for another separation, my biggest fear of his failure, and he was OK.  Then, having a hour to spend,  I walked him around, gave him a chance to sniff and greet, and tried to calm my edge more than his.  I stop by the agility area where his trainer was busy, and she said to make sure I keep him in the shade (did I say, it was hot), and I went back to the testing area. It was very shady there.  Pierre stretched out panting in the shade, and we got to watch a golden do the test.  Success.  Jr. was next.  He amazed me.  He was brilliant, the evaluator said The best moment for me was when I had to put him in a "wait", turn my back and walk away, then turn and call come.  He waited, and he CAME, flying like a super psyched basset, and it just made every one smile so much.  It is our signature move, and he does this better in class than even some of the more experience trainees at class, but to their end, their breeds are more high energy.  I realized it was time to go and not push the agility when his trainer put out a baby pool, and a bucket of water was poured in, and without permission, Jr. just stomped in and out, and then decided to stomp in again.  Ginny patted him down with H20, especially his belly, and when he stomped out the second time, he just plodded, didn't even want to lift his paws.
Healing drool to all in need
PS Jr's "down" was fabulous also
Jax and the herd