[Dailydrool] Grief / Confusion/

A. Woodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Mon Jul 11 10:20:17 PDT 2011

Meet/Greet at Pet store - all three of my girls are terrified when the
rescue groups are there with dogs in cages.  My guess is because all three
of my girls went through that process, and they are afraid you are going to
leave them.  So we don't go to the pet stores on days we know the rescue
groups will be there.  I've had several other rescue dogs, and every one
would get really upset if they had to be anywhere near the dogs in cages at
the pet events.

Pet stores in general - Holly and Anna love to go and meet other dogs and
people and walk around, they are both very social.  Gracie likes it for
about 2 minutes and then she wants OUT.  It's just her nature to be a bit
standoffish and shy, and even though she is our biggest dog she is also our
big chicken.  So we go to the pet store anyway, but we go at quieter times
when it's not overwhelming to Gracie, and she does a lot better than she
used to.  Sounds like JB and Gracie have some things in common when it comes
to crowded pet stores.  I would not bother taking him to another meet and
greet at a pet store, it upsets him and you're going to get the same result.
Waste of time.

Instead, contact a Basset rescue group in your area and tell them about JB
and ask if they have any dogs that they think might work with him.  Then let
them bring a dog out to your house that they think might work, introduce it
to JB, let it off leash and watch them for a while (at least half an hour)
to see how they do. You may have to see several dogs before you hit the
right one.  A little tip here - it's okay if the dog and JB kind of ignore
each other, this is actually a good sign, you just don't want growling and
bared teeth.  If you can find a dog that JB likes or is neutral to, that's
the one I'd take.  Look for one with a similar activity level to JB, that is
what I've found to be the best way to judge if the dogs will do well
together or not.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net

  _____