[Dailydrool] Grief / Confusion/

HarrisonGrp at comcast.net HarrisonGrp at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 22:18:25 PDT 2011

All,
Suggestions were made that my 12 yoa that recently lost his companion of 12 years participate in the selection process for a new roommate. Here is a run down of JB's big adventure. In put would be most grateful appreciated; I'm really confused now.

Our day started with JB and his usual crying when he got in the travel crate that he never would travel in without his companion. We got a toe job and we arrived early at Petco in Milton, GA  for the BHRG adoption event. JB was not calming down as we thought he should be. No treats, water, rubbing, the normal attention  was'nt helping, JB just did not want to be a traveler that day, especially without Kris in the car. Same patterns. He wouldn't drink and was constantly barking and overheating. We walked him around in various locations, grass, sidewalks, etc. giving him a feel of different areas feels, smells, feels, etc. A snack and a brushing helped a little , but he was upset about being there. So to cool him a bath. That helped calm him. By the time he was finished the group had arrived.

By noon everyone arrived and JB was cool and a little more calm. He then went to meet and greet. We all grouped in the back of the store. I had a flash back when we took our son to pre-K when he was 4 years old. JB hid behind us, would give little yips, and kept trying to get between our legs to hide, head first. He paws at us with his left front foot to get a neck / chest rub. This went on constantly when he wasn't hiding . JB did not socialize; there was no sniffing, no eye looks, no touching, no visitation of any sort. We couldn't even push him their general direction. Eventually, maybe after 20 minutes, JB just got up and walked to the back of the store, around the group, didn't look back, and out the front door. Sure he was the biggest, oldest, and certainly most seasoned Basset in the group, but he acted like my son at the first day of pre-K and would not even go near the other dogs, he just wanted to hid behind my wife's leg, but the other dogs wouldn't go near him either. It was as if he was putting off vibes that he was not approachable. One little red/white nuzzled me and looked at JB momentarily. No growling. He wasn't mean or being protective of us but he was so bashful and shy it was as if it was a different dog.

When we got home he was very clinging for two days. He has just now settled down. It was an interesting outing. A total time in the car and away from the house may have been too much for him. His normal trip in the van was maybe 20 minutes. This could have been one of the several factoring issues. Too much excitement, too much time away from home, too much . . . We may revisit on 7/23 when the group come back to the Marietta Petco. I'm being patient with him. He hasn't developed an bad habits, except his outdoor habits have been reduced to waiting to the very last second. He has also lost 8 pounds in the last 4 weeks. He never struggled for his food. So maybe there is some concernt there and we are watching that and the food blend. I am certainly open to suggestions and anyone's appreciate input. Seems to be getting more complicated.

Keith