[Dailydrool] bassets and gardens

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 13:29:28 PDT 2011

Waldo ATB never cared at all about my garden, bless his grouchy heart. Basil,
however, thinks it's his own personal sandbox and salad bar combined. I have a
4x6 raised bed garden along the side of the deck, and after I caught him
standing in it, snooter-deep in dirt, I put up some of that ornamental wire
fencing. It's about 3 feet tall, but not very strong. A few weeks ago, I heard
something metal bang against my grill. I went out and there was Basil, with a
panel of the fencing around his neck. The holes are large enough that he
couldn't choke himself; he just got his ears caught trying to back out of it
after sticking his head through to snack on the few beans that have finally
started growing. Instead of barking for me to save him, he just pulled the
entire panel out of the ground and started walking back to the door! I haven't
given up on the garden idea quite yet; I think I'm going to have to put in a
permanent (read: sunk in concrete) fence with an access gate around the garden
patch.

Sigh... the whole idea of the garden was to save money on produce. The amount
I've spent trying to keep the hound out far outweighs the paltry savings I might
end up with.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB