[Dailydrool] You wondered "Why"

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 09:35:38 PDT 2011

There is a reason "why"

When the rescue was contacted about the little three-legged basset, it was
mentioned that he was being picked on by the other dogs.  It was decided to
bring him in quickly. On Tuesday, he was pulled from the shelter and taken
directly to a vet clinic.  It is not unusual for a shelter to ask a rescue
to wait because they have an interested party that might adopt a dog.  The
rescue would not have had any problem with that whatsoever.  However it was
the shelter decided the dog should go to the rescue.  I'm not faulting the
interested party because I work too but the potential adopter would not have
been able to reach the shelter until Saturday.  I know it doesn't sound
like a big deal it's just a couple of days but those couple of days could
mean a very big deal to that dog.  When I get a call about a basset in one
of our local shelters, I pull that dog asap before any harm is done to that
dog.  While we would like to think of these dogs in individual crates or dog
runs, that isn't always the reality.  At our local shelter, the dog runs
contain as many dogs as they can fit into them.  No thoughts are given to
whether the dogs will get along.  Again I stress it was up to the shelter
whether they wanted to hold the dog until Saturday or give it to the rescue
that Tuesday.

As with all new bassets rescued from shelters, he was taken to a vet
clinic.  That's the protocol.  He was given a very thorough examination
including looking into how he became a tripod in the first place.  The
little guy started showing signs of kennel cough.  By time he was given the
"all clear" by the vet all available foster homes were filled.  He is
arrived at his foster home this morning (something that was scheduled
last week).

Anyone wanting to adopt the special little guy is welcome to submit an
adoption application including the drooler that was interested in him
before.  The interested party was instructed to submit an adoption
application.  If she did, it would have been full consideration by the
adoption coordinator handling Indiana adoptions.  That I promise you.

Someone pointed out that perhaps one should check with a rescue first.
Thank you for that wonderful suggestion.  The people hurt by these posts are
the volunteers like me and others that freely give of our time to help these
needy hounds.

There is so much that goes on behind the scenes at any rescue than might
appear at first glance.  It wasn't until I become more involved that I got a
chance to peak behind the curtain.  The rescue in question (Guardian Angel
Basset Rescue) is made up of many caring hardworking people that will drop
everything to help rescue a dog. We may have differing opinions at times,
but we have one common purpose and that is to rescue these basset hounds.

Jan M.
dogmom to Lady
Daily Drooler since 2005
GABR volunteer since 2006

P.S. - in the future if anyone has a question like this regarding a GABR
dog, please feel free to contact me off-list.