[Dailydrool] A new heavenly hound

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 18:41:12 PDT 2011

I'm sitting here staring at my keyboard, trying to find more than a subject line. My mind is still numb.

Tonight our Abner bloated. He had not been all that well lately. Whether it was back trouble, the cancer, or arthritis, I couldn't really say. The tumor was huge and caused him trouble walking. Or maybe it was the arthritis that made him have difficulty. I guess I will never know.

Drew had told me he refused his dinner--something that had become more common in the past few weeks. I put his dinner aside, hoping he'd go for it later. But when I walked in the room a while later and saw his stomach, which looked like a huge ball, I immediately knew what was happening. I tried to get some Gas X into him, but I don't think he even swallowed it. We rushed him to the closest emergency vet--the one I picked a rescue up from a few months ago. Their X-ray showed his whole stomach area was filled with gas. The vet couldn't see his spleen or any other organs. The stomach seemed to have twisted.

I had to face one of those awful decisions. Of course I wanted to keep Abner here with us, but I knew that it probably wasn't the wisest choice, so I made the one that I hope was best for him. We sent him off to the Bridge, to greet Alexis for us.

Of course I feel as if I've betrayed him. It's my job to keep the hounds happy and healthy, not to do this.

Difficult as Abner was, he will leave a huge hole in my heart. I wish so many things could have been better for him in this life. We did our best to make it so, but bad health seemed to plague him. I wish I could have made it all better for him. But I know life isn't that way.

The Dashing Bassets are down one hound tonight. And sorrow fills our hearts.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets
Lady Jane & Belvedere & Alexis Grace (AKA the Fairyprincess) ATB & Abner Ahrooo ATB