[Dailydrool] Perianal Fistulas

Lynn Hagge lmhagge at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 07:07:51 PDT 2011

Droolers,

I rarely post, and drop in occasionally to lurk.  Some of you may have already seen this if you’re on any of the Facebook Basset pages.  I’m looking to see if anyone has experience with perianal fistulas.  I thought Rocket had diarrhea, grabbed a washcloth too clean his bum, lifted his tail to find what appeared to be a prolapsed rectum, and blood, not poop.  Panicking, I called the vetman who saw him immediately.  Took a better look while waiting in the exam room, and realized it was an abscess directly above his rectum.  Vetman said it was a perianal fistulas, common in intact male dogs, and GSD’s.  He cleaned it up, put some Animax ointment on it and prescribed Amoxicillin.  told me there was not much to worry about, they’re painless, and need to be kept clean until healed.  Asked me to call back in two days for a progress report.  Rocket doesn’t appear to be in any pain, isn’t trying to like the area, no butt dragging.  Rocket will be 10 y/o on 9/12, and was neutered @ 6 months.  He’s generally healthy for the exception of being my lumpy bumpy boy, and some environmental allergies. He’s fed Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion 1C 2x daily with some raw protein, fresh veggies thrown in sometimes.

I came home and read about it on ACVS, and a couple other websites, and got a completely different impression.  Has anyone out there had to deal with  perianal fistulas?

Thanks,
Lynn & Rocket