[Dailydrool] food and vets and "cancer dog on McDonalds"

Tim Mayer TMayer at turncraft.com
Tue Jun 7 11:48:20 PDT 2011

It was so funny to hear Beverly mention that she has a dog with cancer
that's "living on McDonald's"!

I posted just last week that my old boy Beethoven is 17 years old this
month, and I've pretty much always fed him Nutro brand foods. I'm certain
from my own experience that Beverly is right: many dogs do just fine on the
standard "grocery store" stuff, but some need different foods. (My Maggie
can't have corn products, so everyone here now gets lamb and rice kibble.)
But the real reason I'm posting this is because Beethoven is lacking in
appetite a lot of times. The vet says it's caused by the Rimadyl. He's been
on that for a few months because, well, quite frankly, as old as he is he
just doesn't get around too well sometimes. So, to keep him interested in
his food, and eating enough to stay healthy, I've been spicing things up. I
add chopped up ham, spaghetti sauce, shredded cheese, stuff like that to his
daily kibble. And I usually warm it up nice. I think I'm thinking the same
way Beverly is: the food isn't gonna kill him. But not eating surely would.

Of course, the biggest battle is keeping Maggie away from Beethoven's bowl
long enough for the old guy to finish <grin>!