[Dailydrool] anxious dog and weight gain

Kristy A Meyers kawarner at umich.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:17:06 PDT 2011

Hi Kylie,
Have you considered adopting another dog for your anxious girl? It
might help her feel less afraid and alone when you and your husband
leave. You are doing a great job being new basset parents..and have
tried a lot to try to reassure her you will always come back for her.
I am not sure if a calm, older, relaxed dog would be best or one close
to her age to help calm her. Maybe talk to a basset expert or ask the
rescue folks where you got your girl from about getting another dog.
They may have some ideas of a good dog mate for her.

My second basset experience was a bonded pair..they had a very rough
life before they came to me. I believe strongly they survived as long
as they did before they got to me and were safe, fed, loved and had
proper meds because they had eachother.

As for gaining weight, have you tried topping her dry food with some
canned food? Nutro has canned food so it might not stress her too much
if you mix it with their dry food. Also, maybe try another flavor..she
may prefer chicken and rice instead of the lamb and rice. Mix a bit of
the canned food into her dry food-it might encourage her to eat her
dry food.
Good luck! Bassets are the best...thanks so much for getting one from rescue!
Kristy