[Dailydrool] anxious dog and weight gain

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 13:14:08 PDT 2011

I strongly believe that our Cyrus (7 year old lab) is the main reason that
Snoopy isn't hysterical (nor distructive) when we leave the house.  And he's
not, not at all.  The very first time we left I heard him SCREAM and scratch at
the door and then silence.  And when we came home they were curled up together.
These days leaving is a non event ... Cyrus is tall enough to jump up on a bed
and watch us leave, Snoopy isn't (and we don't leave the ramp up when we're not
home, too dangerous) so he sits in the entry way.  My husband swears the first
time we left them they looked at each other and said ... looky there, I've got a
dog.

Now honestly the ONLY reason we went to the pound looking for a dog is because
Cyrus (who has owned us for almost 6 years) was becoming hysterical at being
home alone on days when I worked in the office having had someone at home ever
since we adopted him.  He'd be an absolute basket case when we got home, SO
emotional.  And ever since we got Snoopy neither dog has much cared when we
leave.  Now when we come home they do the dance .... "hey, hey, hey, mommy's
home dance ... . hip hip hurray it's the mommy's home dance .... look, look at
me I'm doing the mommy's home dance ...."  But honestly they could care less
when we leave and when we're gone, they're just hoping we'll feed them something
when we get home.  And I have to say my boys have run of the house and yard when
I'm gone (dog door) and they don't do anything they shouldn't when we're not
home.

So think about it, you could save another life if you go get another dog ...
everybody will be happier, especially you.   Now relationships aren't perfect
and with rescues there are sure to be challenges.  My Snoopy has tourettes and
will occasionally yell at Cyrus for no reason and chase him around ... but
neither dog bites and it happens less and less often.  Maybe someday it'll stop
altogether but even if it doesn't just seeing them play and cuddle tells me all
I need to know ... they love each other.

Best,
Dale