[Dailydrool] Hound Integrity

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 14:21:59 PDT 2011

"How do I get my dog to behave when I am not around?".....ROFLMAO!!! Ok, I'm
calm now.....I love my hounds but I will be the first to admit that they are
not the best behaved dogs in the world. We made up our minds a long time ago
that, if we wanted a dog that would do everything that we asked them to, we
should have adopted labs or shepards. I have the mentality with my dogs that
I have four (five right now) two year old children in the house and basset
proof my house exactly like I would for a two year old. I also think that
it's MY responsibility to make sure stuff that can hurt them is out of their
reach. I NEVER would rely on telling any basset "no"  and walk away thinking
that they'll leave whatever alone. My advice is to continue training because
every hound needs discipline and structure but to just bite the bullet and
get the things that are important to you or could hurt your dog up where she
can't get to it. Another thing that I'd do is make sure you walk her a
couple times a day. A good walk so that she's really getting some exercise
and burning some of that young dog energy off. Maybe make a play date for
her with another friend's dog so that she can play and ram and burn some
energy off that way. Also, get a Kong, fill it with some treats and yogurt,
freeze it and let her have it. It will keep her busy and entertained for a
while. We have our pita (as in pain in the ***) Ginger who is a wild woman
in a basset suit. She can be very destructive if left on her own. A terrific
trainer gave us some pointers and they have helped a lot. You just need to
remember your girl is a basset hound, very hard headed and strong willed,
and that it's *your* responsibility to keep your stuff up where she can't
get to it. She's a hound, not a thinking person.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & wild woman Ginger
and foster girl Darcy