[Dailydrool] ear hematoma

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 17:59:12 PDT 2011

Not all surgery on ear hematomas end up with disfigured ears.  I guess
maybe it depends on who's doing the surgery like anything else.  Otter
had a hematoma in one of the worst places ever, at the top of his ear
closing off his ear opening.  We tried having it drained but by the next
day it was full again.  We had the surgery, one of the toughest
according to our doctor that she had ever done.  He was a mess with
stitches and a drain tube but when all healed you can't even tell he had
it done.  She did a wonderful job with his ear.  The only sign of the
surgery is when I need to clean his ear I have to lift the ear flap a
little higher so that the ear canal can open wider.
I was afraid to have the surgery on him which is why we went the
draining route.  I looked at all the pictures on line and didn't want
Otter's beautifully long velvet ears to end up like the ones I saw.
Thankfully they didn't.  So, the long and the short of it is it doesn't
always turn out bad.
Good luck
Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Mollie the Bloodhound