[Dailydrool] Help! Obsessed Basset.

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon Jun 13 14:15:19 PDT 2011

I have had Freddie since a year ago Easter, so 16 months or so. Just in the last week, he has become obsessed, and I mean obsessed with "something" in the yard, under my shed, and in
the neighbor's yard. It might be the squirrel, but Chucky has been around all last year and this, so why now?  He spends almost all day out in the yard, behind my shed, mostly barking at the
fence. I cannot see anything. Aside from crating him, I don't know what to do. I have more dogs
than are legal, and his barking, barking, barking is not helping my situation. We bring him in, close off the dog doors, and he paces, paces, paces. He may be quiet for a few minutes when we let him out, but then he starts again. I cannot really close off my dog doors for long periods with the other dogs, (and one has Addison's disease and is on Prednisone and needs to go out very frequently). This is a new thing and it is driving me crazy. I don't know what has changed in the last week or so, but honestly, the little guy is OBSESSED! He will stay out there all day and then when he comes in drink like a fiend, because he is so thirsty. The highlight of Fred's day is our walks at Dimple Dell Gully, but the last few days, I have to go drag him away from the shed and the fence and drag him to the car. Any ideas at all? Crating him, drugging him, locking him in a room? I cannot figure out what he is seeing. I spent half an hour at the fence today trying to
 see what he was after and there was nothing.

Marilyn Briggs