[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Monday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Jun 13 17:16:36 PDT 2011

I spent an hour and a half at the hospital this afternoon and spoke to the
ICU nurses about 30 minutes ago.  Pat had a fever of 101.4 this afternoon
(no discernable cause) but it has come back down.  They have taken her off
the Midozolam (propofal) to lighten her sedation but she is not yet
responding to commands (like squeeze my hand, wriggle your toes etc.) but
does respond to and recoil from deep pain stimuli.  Since propofol is fat
soluble (and Pat is "fluffy") they are saying that it simply needs to work
its way out of the system.  She is still receiving Cefepemine antibiotic
which appears to be working, since all of the blood, urine and bronchial
cultures are coming back negative.  Her kidney function is slightly
compromised but within expectations considering the situation.  She
continues to received NaCl IV fluids, Versed for pain, and Promote
nutritional solution.  She is still on the ventilator with settings at 50.
The goal over the next couple of days is to increase her consciousness and
wean her off the ventilator.
She is still not out of the woods by a long shot.
Yes, I am worried.  Yes, I am scared.  Yes, I am worn out.  I am tired of
this game.  I want my friend back . NOW!
Ok .. I feel better (a little) now that I have had a mini-meltdown.
Please continue praying.
Sandi