[Dailydrool] Transitioning out of crates

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Wed Jun 15 06:18:04 PDT 2011

A couple of months ago, we started allowing the three bassets to be out of
their crates when we were away from home.  They were old enough that they
seemed to do very well and we have not had any incidents.  We moved the
crates to the basement on Saturday because of the graduation party we were
having.  We had talked about it a few times, and since we were all too tired
to haul the crates back up after the party, we decided we would try letting
them sleep in just their beds with no crates.

Several days in now, I think we are finally getting it.  I have put their
beds in the same place that their crates were and from the first night, Gabe
and Liz looked at us a little strange, but took their cookie and laid down
on their beds and went to sleep.  Flo stood on her bed like she didn’t know
what to do.  She proceeded to pace around the house half the night and we
eventually found her sleeping at the top of the stairs.  Next night I’m
pretty sure it was Flo who pooped on the kitchen floor.  When I got up that
morning, the other two ran to greet me while Flo went into the living room
and peered at me from around the door.  Last night everyone went to bed and
all were in bed sleeping when I got up this morning.  Persistence appears to
be paying off and it looks like we have an addition on the house because the
kitchen is not dominated by three large dog crates!

Alicia, Flo, Gabe and Liz