[Dailydrool] How to get a basset to sleep

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 13:46:45 PDT 2011

> Okay, it's been awhile since we've had a younger basset and I know
> they have a lot of energy but Rockwell DOES NOT SLEEP. Maybe dozes
> off for a half hour or so then he's up wanting to play, run around
> and go outside on walks.

This reminds me so much of our young Charlie, except young Charlie,
blessedly, thankfully, did sleep all night as a puppy without waking
himself or us up.

Young Charlie joined us at the age of eleven months and was busy busy
busy all day long every day until he was a little over two. He was
the first puppy I've ever had (and will definitely be the last!), and
I'd been under the impression that puppies, like babies, have to take
naps throughout the day. I thought puppies actually drop over from
sheer exhaustion in the middle of the day and nap. Not Charlie!
Charlie didn't nap ever. He was much too busy finding things to put
into his mouth to take a nap. When he got up in the morning, he
didn't stop moving until we put him into his crate at bedtime.

Charlie would begin and end each day by playing hard. The rest of the
day was spent playing slightly less hard and looking for things to
destroy because destroying stuff was great fun. Our Elsinore was
extremely gracious about playing with him every time he asked her to,
which took some of the load off me. But I quickly realized that if I
was going to get any work done (I'm a freelance editor who works from
home), I was going to have to keep Charlie and a bunch of toys in the
same room I was in. I still found myself having to stop every ten to
fifteen minutes to go take things out of his mouth or redirect his
attention, but at least with him in the same room I wasn't having to
run as far to get to him before he left indelible marks on something.

For Charlie, attention, even negative attention, is important. This
was why his first family surrendered him to rescue. He wasn't getting
enough attention from them, and they didn't like the naughty things
he was doing to force them to pay attention to him. I guess that's
when he realized that being naughty is a whole lot more fun than
being good, and he still enjoys doing things he shouldn't (like
getting into the toilet paper) and laughing at whoever discovers him.

It never occurred to young Charlie to bark at his food and toss it
into the air, but I know if it had, he would have done it because he
was so very playful as a puppy. He saw everything in his life as
being a toy, and he could turn anything into a game. Even running
around with contraband in his mouth turned into a favorite game--
Chase Me! followed by Trading Post in which I'd give him a treat in
exchange for what I didn't want him to have. We don't play Trading
Post nearly as often anymore, and that's okay by me.

Now at the age of five, Charlie spends more time dozing on a dog bed
in whatever room I'm in than he does awake. I don't miss his puppy
days at all, not even the ones where he was especially cute and
photogenic. But I'm really glad that the light spirit and merry
twinkle in his eyes didn't disappear when his puppy busy-ness did. He
still exudes joyfulness--in between his daytime naps.

Elizabeth