[Dailydrool] Blueberry loved baby birds

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 07:29:21 PDT 2011

I just found baby birds in a bird's nest snuggled in a window ledge next to
 my air conditioner.  (I wondered why a bird started yelling when I turned
it on, so I went out to investigate.  Needless to say, I raced back in and
immediately turned it off, and now hope that the weather doesn't get too
hot  until the babies have left their cozy home!)

Anyway, it reminded me of my Blueberry.  Blueberry loved everybody and
everything.  If she'd had a Facebook page, she'd have had thousands of  Friends.

One day we were on a walk in the woods.  She never needed a leash,  never
went further than a couple of yards from me.  Then, suddenly, this  day, she
disappeared.  I looked into all the thick undergrowth and couldn't  spot her
anywhere.  I called and called -- no typical answering moo, or the  sound
of those big old feet thrashing their way back to me.

I was panicked, and plunged into the bushes and trees myself, calling and
not finding her, until I almost stepped on her.  She was lying down, her
body wrapped protectively around a baby bird she'd found on the ground.   She
looked into my eyes and it was such a human communication -- she was worried
 about the baby and was trying to take care of her.

While hoisting up her adorable extra-fluffy butt and half-carrying her  out
of the woods, I congratulated her on being such a good, loving little girl,
 and tried to explain that the baby's mama would take care of him, but she
wouldn't come around if she (Blueberry) were still there.  I'm not sure she
 believed me.  She kept looking back.

I was reminded of her when I saw the little babies in the nest  today.  She
was such a special, precious little dog, never hurt anything or  anyone,
just wanted to love and be loved (and be fed, anything and  everything).

Having the babies there brings up a question -- any birders out  there?

By going online, I think I've figured out that the babies are robins, about
 2 days old.  (I didn't dare get near the nest itself because mom and dad
were flying around frantically when they spotted me, but I took a photo with
a  telephoto lens and then zoomed in on the computer; then matched the
picture and  the dad's call with photos and recordings online.)

The information I've found seems to indicate that they'll leave the nest in
 10-12 days.  About three feet under the nest is a sloped bulkhead  door.
(I'm postponing workmen who were going to have to use the  bulkhead for
access.)  Should I put something on the bulkhead  to soften the landing when the
little fledglings leave the nest?  Like  towels, or a chaise longue
cushion?  Or will the parents get too upset if  I'm putting something directly
under the nest?

Thanks for any advice!  (My vet always called me "neurotic mama"  because I
obsessed about everything with my girls -- I'm now carrying this over  to
the birds, maybe in Blueberry's honor.)

Beth H.  (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)