[Dailydrool] Rosie and yeast and treats

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 09:22:10 PDT 2011

Carol, hope Rosie continues to feel better.

Vernon Q Basset gets a lot of yeast infections on his skin. This winter I
realized to my horror that he was BALD under his chin, where all the baggy
skin comes together in folds, and isn't visible without inspection. Pink,
sticky, smelly skin -- poor vern! (Vern is especially generously endowed
with skin around his neck!) We used Nizoral, which is an anti-dandruff
shampoo for humans, on his neck and in his armpits. We washed him with it in
warm water, left it on for 2-3 minutes, then carefully rinsed it off. The
yeast cleared up, and his fur grew back which was a great relief. We use it
to wash his ears too -- not the inside, we have Epiotic for that, but the
skin inside the ears themselves.

Our vet recommended this when the late lamented Billy B Basset had lots of
yeast infections, and it seems to work really well.

About treats -- our two love treats, but they don't care what it is. When
we're weight watching, we give them carrot slices. I know carrots have quite
a bit of sugar and some say dogs shouldn't eat many, but when they're in
their treat role, it's a piece of carrot about half and inch thick. Very
popular!

Hope she's feeling better soon,
Mary
& Vernon Q Basset, who wishes I wouldn't talk about his dermatological
issues in public