[Dailydrool] big dog bark

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:17:49 PDT 2011

My sister and I are fostering a 6 month old basset puppy named Jefferson.
The little guy had three homes in this short life,  Jefferson kept getting
passed from one family to another in an apartment complex.  He was about to
go to the fourth family/apartment when a nice lady stopped it.  She was a
co-worker to one person in the third apartment.  She took Jefferson from
them and called rescue.  Jefferson was passed from apartment to apartment
(sorry I can't really consider them a "family" to this pup) because he
wasn't housebroken.  I asked why she called rescue.  Her answer was quick -
she thought he deserved a family that understood and loved basset hounds.

The first couple of days with us Jefferson had the typical puppy bark.  Then
Sunday Jefferson startled himself when a big dog bark came from his mouth.
His puppy bark was replaced with a louder stronger big dog bark.  Jefferson
must be afraid it's a short term gift because he's now barking a lot.  It
doesn't have to be about or at anything.  We think Jefferson is just showing
off his big dog bark to the other dogs.  This morning he attempted his first
howl - he needs more practice on that for sure.

When I was speaking with a potential home, Jefferson was barking in the
background.  It was music to the man's ears.  The man explained that when we
came back from Viet Nam he was disabled and very depressed.  He left
everything to headed for the mountains - only taking a few things but most
importantly his basset hound.  He said it was the basset hound that helped
him through his depression and got him "back to life" as he put it.  He
loved Jefferson's big dog bark and asked me to let him just listen to him
for a little bit.

Oh and that housebreaking thing - Jefferson is getting a handle on that
too.  He needs to remember to have all four paws outside before peeing but
we're working on that.

Jan & Lady (when is that barking brat leaving??)