[Dailydrool] Excessive barking

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 14:49:06 PDT 2011

The losses lately have been so overwhelming. We are sending love and condolences
to all. We are still praying for Sandi's Pat's full recovery.

I wanted to chime in on "excessive barking". I think each state has its own
definitions. Here in Hawaii, to merit an excessive barking "ticket", a dog must
bark for 10 minutes straight without interruption, or intermittently for 25
minutes. Complaints are handled by the police department rather than the humane
society. There are escalating fines for each complaint--not sure what happens
after 3 complaints.

One of our boys, Harley, got us in trouble with our last landlady. When we were
not home, if something started him up barking (a noise outside usually) and no
one was there to say, "Quiet, Harley!", Harley didn't have an "off" switch. He'd
just keep intermittently barking until someone came home (or the landlady came
downstairs from her apartment) to tell him to be quiet. We have since moved. I
have not really figured out how to solve this problem (citronella collars didn't
work, and he stops if a human intervenes, so it's hard to reinforce being quiet
since when he sees a human he'll stop). What I have been doing since we moved is
dropping him (and his brother) off at doggie daycare if I will be out of the
house for more than an hour. Our doggie daycare has a 'half-day' deal for folks
who need this service. If I will be gone less than an hour and Harley and Bo
can't come with me (they often do--they are popular at a lot of stores, even
though they have to ride in a grocery cart at Lowe's and Home Depot), then I
close them in the house and shut the windows that face other houses. If anyone
else has solved a problem like this, I'd love to know how you did it. I am
embarrassed to admit that I plan just about all excursions out of my house
around my dogs. Val