[Dailydrool] Grieving Dogs suggestion, UTI experience, new addition

Patti Merlo belleheidi at msn.com
Wed Jun 22 17:58:16 PDT 2011

I have been so busy that I have been scanning the drools a few days late.
Condolences to everyone who has suffered a loss.  When we lost Belle last
September we noticed Heidi was getting a little depressed, they were
companions for 10 years.  A major concern was the depression setting off
Heidi's auto-immune.  One of our vet techs (doG love her) looked in her
Bach's Flower Essence book for Animals and told me about Gentian: "a remedy
that restores perseverance & appetite for animals discouraged when ill or
following loss of owner or companion animal".  We were willing to try
anything so she discussed it with our regular vet & also spoke with the
internist treating Heidi's auto immune.  Everyone agreed it would be okay
for Heidi to try so we gave it a shot.  We used it for 2 weeks (flower
essence mixed with spring water, putting drop on a cookie) and noticed an
improvement.  We stopped giving the drops and saw Heidi getting depressed
again so we gave it for another 2 weeks, it helped and after that we saw
Heidi getting back to her normal self.  We were skeptical when we tried it
but happy it helped.  We also use Bach's Rescue Remedy for Heidi &
thunderstorms with success, just have to get the timing right.

UTI - Heidi will usually get one a year.  We will do the normal urinalysis
but then is if shows an infection we will also do a Culture/Sensitivity with
a direct bladder tap (directed by ultrasound) to see what bacteria is
involved and what antibiotics will be best to treat.  Heidi doesn't even
know the tap is being done - she just rolls over for a belly rub and she is
done in no time (helps that our vet lets me help hold her).  For her last
UTI she was on Zenequin and had no adverse side effects. In fact she was on
an extended dosage because the internist did an ultrasound (on his own at no
charge - I LOVE our vets!!) and saw she had major bladder inflammation.  We
have started Heidi on cranberry dry extract (475mg/day), hopefully this will
help.  The extra costs for the tests start to add up but at least they are
treating with a proper antibiotic from the start and not guessing.

New addition - As I mentioned we lost Belle last September and after 6
months my husband & I decided we were ready to take the plunge and add a
puppy to the household. We welcomed Abigail on March 26, Heidi was not to
happy at first especially since Abigail is always in her face.  It has been
almost 3 months and they are getting along really well. Abigail just loves
her older sister to pieces. Although there are times when Bob & I look at
each other and say how did we do it 10 years ago when we brought Heidi home
to join Belle. The constant answer is - "we were 10 years younger!". :)

Sorry for the long post but hope the information is helpful.

Patti
owned by Heidi (11 yrs) and Abigail (5 mos)
Belle ATB (11/15/95 - 9/7/10)