[Dailydrool] Leashes

Christina Brookshire boo62c at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 06:01:53 PDT 2011

I have been reading with interest the leash discussion.  This is what I do.
I have 3 dogs and can walk all three but prefer it when the husband comes
with me and walk 2 and I walk 1 and bring the wagon.  Sadie who is very
elderly rides in her wagon when she gets tired.
We use flexi-leads on all three when walking around the neighborhood.  Bumpy
and Sparky the beagle have harnesses, Sadie has a martingale.  We have never
had any problem with walking them on the flexi's in the neighborhood or at a
campground, anyplace where there is space for them to roam a bit.
When we go to town, a fair, or close quarters, we only use 6 foot leashes.
In close quarters, Sadie and Bumpy are both on martingales and Sparky is on
his regular collar. I will only take one or two dogs if I am going to be in
close quarters.
  Sadie is elderly, so she is never a problem walking in tight quarters and
loves all the attention she gets.  Bumpy is very well trained as he is a
therapy dog and is in constant obedience classes.  We take at least 1-2 per
year.  Otherwise, he forgets how to walk properly.  Sparky the beagle,
well-he's a beagle and you just deal with it.  Fortunately, he's a friendly
fellow.
When in town, I take a bag of tiny treats for distraction.  Bumpy will focus
solely on me when he sees treats might be forthcoming.  I get one out if we
are going to pass by an out of control dog, dog on a long leash, dog left
while the owners sip coffee indoors (never understood that one).  Bumpy will
stay right next to me looking at his treat, not the other dog until we get
buy.  Then he gets the treat and we go on.
I think the key to walking multiple or even one dog is constant vigilance
and also common sense.  You need to forever be looking ahead, planning how
you are going to handle the situation up ahead.  If the dog up ahead does
not look friendly, you pull you dogs tight and move out of the way.  If the
guy walking the dog coming is not paying any attention, move out of the way
too.  I have been known to cross the street entirely if a super alpha
looking dog is coming my way with an inattentive owner.
All in all, it's a bit like driving.  You are supposed to drive
defensively.  I walk my dogs the same way.
Christi, Bumpy, Sadie lady and Sparky the beagle