[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Sunday Night

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sun Jun 26 18:37:11 PDT 2011

Things remain status quo today.  They put her on a CPAP for five hours this
morning, then tried having her breath on her own using 50% oxygen.  She did
breath on her own for about 90 minutes but then her heart rate, respiration
and blood pressure began to rise and oxygenation dropped and they returned
her to the ventilator.  She is increasingly agitated by sounds and noise, so
we are trying to keep her room quieter and doors closed to make her more
comfortable.   She continues to get morphine, Versed, respiratory therapy,
physical therapy.  Her daily chest xrays are showing slight improvement but
their capacity and strength is very poor.   She is consistently running a
fever (currently 101.3) and is receiving Tylenol every 4 hours for that.
She has encephalopathy and I will be camping out in the morning to talk to
the neurologist.  The hearing for me getting guardianship of her is at 10:30
AM.   After that occurs, I will be requesting a sit-down meeting with all
the doctors and making her wishes clear and doing my best to be sure they
are respected.   I will ask for (no demand) a Hospice evaluation and
services.   Tomorrow I will also be moving the Red Bay girls and the two
puppies to my house.  The time has come . and I will have 12 dogs here.
Thankfully I have 4 acres and good neighbors but will be over the limit per
the county.  Just to be safe, everyone won't be out at the same time . and
most people can't tell one basset from another . especially ours who are all
related and look a lot alike :-)!
Opie is still very "ouchy" tonight.  The issue is definitely in his neck.
He is eating and drinking and all systems are 'operating'.  He is on
Robaxin, Tramadol and crate rest . we will reassess his status in the
morning.   Caleb is doing better now that the hard cast is on . still pretty
bummed out that he can't play baseball or swim.   And disappointed that
Grandma missed the deadline for entering the Monroe MI shows because he was
going to go along as my kennel help.
Thanks for the continued prayers and drool.

Sandi & the Red Bay Bassets
   One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
   but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
   Proverbs 18:24