[Dailydrool] back problems

Racetrcker at aol.com Racetrcker at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 19:46:52 PDT 2011

Our Rocky, who is now ten and a half, is having major back  problems.  He
was having great difficulty getting his back end up the other  day and his
vet took xrays and found that he has a problem between his lumbar  and
thoracic discs and also some arthritis between the adjoining discs.  He  is on
robaxin and dexamethasone for two weeks.  He's been on them for six  days plus
injections of them the day before.  He seems quite a bit better  at times but
at other times, like right now, he has a lot of trouble getting up  and
moving.  We were told that after two weeks, he should stabilize and the
problem area between the discs will harden and not be painful to him anymore
although he will lose some mobility.  I might not be getting this exactly  right
but that's the general idea.  He is such a big sweetheart and we  really
hate to see him in pain.  He is not supposed to jump up on furniture  or get
excited and run around and he has always been one to take care of himself
when he's hurting.  He had surgery on both front legs when he was about six
months old and taught himself to be careful while he was recovering from
that.

My question is has anyone tried acupuncture on their basset  for this or
any other problem?   We are willing to give it a try if we  get any idea that
it might help him.  Looking it up online, it seems like  it might help him.
I haven't asked our vet about it yet and I'm not sure  what he'd think of
it.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Carol
Rocky (I am such a good boy)
and Maddie (I don't know why Rocky doesn't want to play with  me anymore)