[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Monday Night

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Jun 27 19:59:01 PDT 2011

Another REALLY long day.  Started out at 6:30 AM with Pat's girls and the
puppies morning routine, hospital at 8:20 hoping to catch the doctors
(didn't happen), court at 10:30 where I was "awarded" guardianship of Pat,
back to the hospital where I demanded a staffing with the three docs and a
consult with Hospice.  Fortunately, two of the three docs were on the floor
and met with me within 30 minutes.  Both concurred that between the ARDS and
encephalopathy (brain damage, disease or dysfunction), Pat's prognosis is
extremely poor and Hospice is an appropriate path to take.  At 1:00 PM I was
back at Pat's for "moving day" for Kassie, Chrissie, Ouija, Lena, Quincey
and Quizmo . had to bring additional crates and the puppy xpens to my house,
as well as dishes, toys, crate pads etc.  The twins helped tremendously with
the "grunt work" and all six additions to my household now have crates set
up in my dining room (so much for formal dinners :-)).  At 4:00 I took poor
Opie back to the vet for his neck pain . he is now on Tramadol, Robaxin and
prednisone, as well as continued crate rest.  I can tell already this
evening that the prednisone is making him feel a bit better.  Got home at
5:15 . fed the bassets, ran to Wendy's to get something for DH and I (first
time I have eaten all day), a quick shower (phewwww!) and then back to the
hospital for a 7:00 PM Hospice meeting.  Got out of that meeting at 8:45 and
made a quick run to Pat's house to install and set timers for lights inside.
Got home at 9:30 PM . just in time for some puppy snuggle time and a couple
of quick phone calls.  Just finished with "last call" for the dirty dozen
(they all need groomed and bathed) and I think we are about done for the
night.  Anyone want to keep up with me????
Pat is showing increased neurological movements and posturing today.  She
had about 5 hours on the CPAP and then another 3 on 50% oxygen through the
tracheotomy breathing on her own.  She will be moved to a Hospice facility
tomorrow and they are reducing support incrementally overnight to prepare
her for that move.  While I was at the hospital this evening, she had a
brief (maybe 5 minutes) where she made and maintained eye contact with me.
I reassured her that the dogs are all fine and that they are at my house and
that I was now making the decisions about her medical care.  I told her that
I know she doesn't want to "live" like this (on life support) and that I
would see that her wishes are honored.  She seemed to relax a bit and fell
asleep within a couple of minutes.   I am at peace with this decision
because I KNOW it is what Pat wants.  I have worked with Hospice before with
my mom and dad and I know the quality of care and respect they offer.
Again, PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR LOVED ONES, make sure your Advance
Directives, Living Will, Durable Power of Attorney (medical), financial
Power of Attorney and Will are in place and kept up to date.   This process
is difficult enough without having to navigate through the problems involved
when these things are not in place.   None of us think that it is a
particularly pressing matter and tend to procrastinate . but DON'T . you
never know what tomorrow will bring, whether it is illness or accident, your
life can change in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the support, many kind emails (which I will never be able to
individually acknowledge) and of course, the basset drool that thousands of
bassets are slinging to us.
Sandi and the Red Bay Gang