[Dailydrool] Snoopy ant PTSD

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 4 10:15:46 PDT 2011

Well, let me just clarify ... Snoopy had the worst case of PTSD I'd ever seen
and the shelter knew why.  Here is what they told us.

1)  Snoopy was microchiped by his breeder (he is a beauty).  They called the
number on the microchip when they picked him up as a stray.

2)  He was skin and bones and fleas with infections in his ears, eyes and feet
when they found him.  Also a terrible cough and colored discharge from the eyes
and nose.

3)  When they called the number on the microchip they were told:
a)  Snoopy's momPerson (named Diane) had died 9 months before
b)  the family had given Snoopy away the NEXT day
c)  the family did not remember who they had given Snoopy away to
d)  nobody there was willing to bail Snoopy out of the pound

And so the county shelter decided they would vacinate him and deflea him and try
to find someone to take him.

Poor Snoopy wouldn't even let us cuddle him at first.  I'll never forget the
first time he did ... both he and Cyrus were on the floor and on their backs and
my husband and I were giving belly rubs and I said "Snoopy can you feel the
love?"  And Snoopy rolled over on his tummy and just started to sob like a
human.  I thought he'd hurt himself and my DH said "no, honey he's just being
emotional, leave him be."

You should see my Snuggly little Snoopy these days.  Even the regulars at the
dog park comment, he's nothing like the dog I brought there in January.  He
struts and he's so happy and proud ... what a joy to see.  And that's what
happens at home too, he and Cyrus get along great most of the time unless
there's food or Snoopy is sleepy ... then we think Snoopy has "flashbacks."  He
freaked out leaving the dog park yesterday and my friend Roberta said "Dale, he
doesn't like my dog walking behind him is all (she has a giant schnauzer)"

It'll take a while yet (5 months so far).  He's not mean ... just scared ... and
we'll be there for him no matter what .... I just wish he'd quit yelling at
Cyrus.

--Dale