[Dailydrool] Squirrels

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 09:36:01 PDT 2011

I don't know about coyote urine, but a friend gave me a recipe a few years back
that's kept the squirrels away from our veggies most of the time. Mix up some
dish soap and hot sauce in a squirt bottle, then add enough water to thin out
the soap so you can spray it. Spray the veggies every few days. The soap helps
the hot sauce cling to the surface of the veggies, and the animals don't want to
taste it. Obviously you'll need to rinse the veggies thoroughly when you harvest
them!

You could also try one of these ready-made products (note that I haven't used
any, but they are listed as being
pepper-based) http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/squirrel

Another thing you can do that doesn't involve any spraying or maintenance is to
build a chicken wire cover for the bed. Obviously if you have long rows or a
huge garden this isn't quite as easy, but for a raised bed it works pretty well.
Just build a standard wooden box frame that is the same size around as the
footprint of your bed, and tall enough to allow the plants to grow. Staple
chicken wire to all sides. Place over the plants. The wire allows you to water
through it, and also provides secondary support for vining plants.

Good luck!

Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB

Squirrels here are attacking our tomatoes.  We actually have a couple that are
ripening.  They have what appear to be bites all over them.  I don't like the
little critters.  I wish the girls cared but they don't.  Bunnies they care
about.  Birds get Maggie going.  Squirrels stay out of the back mostly and these
tomatoes are on the side of the house.  No doggies out there.  I read that
coyote pee is a deterrant.  Now all we have to do is find a coyote and make it
pee.  I wonder if basset pee would work.  We have lots of that around here.

Drool and snooters to all.  Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby with the nosy
bookend kitty boysand the mom