[Dailydrool] Lethal Kennel Cough

CarolM carolm315 at aol.com
Mon Jun 20 12:09:48 PDT 2011

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds has had a terrible time with this.  I've made many emergency runs to the all night vet with very sick rescued bassets.  Our vet bill is a little scary at this point, but we only lost 2.  At one time I had 8 in quarantine and on meds in various stages of the "flu", some of them had to stay overnight at the vet.  Even if they don't start coughing, watch for a fever and refusal of food and/or a snotty nose.  Don't even think about waiting, get to the nearest vet.  It only takes a matter of hours to loose one.  And yes we have vaccinated all our dogs.  We were just not able to get to all of them soon enough.  Interestingly enough, my older hounds, that had been vaccinated for the flu last year, did not get it.  All the hounds that got the flu were new rescues this sping.  We are seriously thinkg of vaccinating all of them now as part of our package.