[Dailydrool] walking multiple dogs

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:14:34 PDT 2011

We always walk the dogs together and always have.  Sometimes it isn't
easy but it sure is more convenient to take two walks when it is HOT
instead of three.  Otter walks on a harness but he is good and just
wanders along...no pulling really.  Radar and Mollie walk on their
training leads.  They are the kind that show people use on their dogs in
the ring.  We have been taking them to school and this is what she
recommended for them and they work wonderful.  Mollie, the Bloodhound,
used a prong collar courtesy of anther trainer but I hated it.  Radar
used a harness but he was a terrible puller.  Now it is a dream to walk
them.  Our teacher told us walks are for smelling and exploring so nose
to the ground is fine unless you call them to "heel" then the head is up
and they are by your side until you give release them.  What a
difference this has made.  If they start to pull we stop dead, say no
pull and the collar self corrects them.  We don't move forward until
they get their release word....who would have thought this actually
works!!!!!!  I can have my arm by my side when we walk now and no more
pulls in my shoulder muscle.  I walk both dogs on my left side but my
husband splits them.  It doesn't seem to bother them either way.  My
husband can walk Mollie and Radar at the same time while doing all kinds
of commands with them...he's a show off at times.
It's not always wonderful, the occasional cat, rabbit or crazy "terror"
dogs with the crazy lady, but it's way better than it used to be.
Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Mollie the Bloodhound