[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Friday Afternoon

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jun 24 13:22:35 PDT 2011

Another so-so day . no progress . maybe a new problem brewing.  When they
suctioned Pat yesterday and repositioned her, her Heart rate, blood pressure
and respiration increased dramatically . I was present when this occurred.
After a few minutes, the respiration returned to normal but the HR and BP
didn't come down.  They tried morphine without success, so they added
Lopressor.  Today, they decided to try a transdermal patch which will give
constant dosage (can't for the life of me remember the name of it).  Also,
she is running a fever which has been rising slowly over the past 24 hours .
currently at 101.8.   Can't find the reason . nothing showing in blood or
urine cultures . no skin lesions . they may do a spinal tap to see if they
can pinpoint the problem and rule out West Nile Virus and meningitis.  She
is still on ventilator (50% oxygen) . coughing quite a bit.  She is awake
(eyes open and tracking) but does not respond to commands.  The neurologist
is going to do another brain scan this afternoon and an EEG.  She is making
some random movements that are not purposeful and may be neurological.  The
other thing that is being discussed is transferring Pat to a long-term care
hospital in a few days.
I met with the lawyer early today, petition was filed at 9:00 AM and hearing
will be Monday morning at 10:30 AM.   Tonight I am taking a little "family
time" off and going to a baseball game with my daughter and her DH, my DH
and the twins.  Tomorrow I have another busy day . Vacation Bible School
(which I said I would do 6 months ago) . we are doing God's Miracles in
Color and I am doing all the science stuff.
This afternoon, I took fruit and veggie trays to the nursing staff (both day
and night shifts) and will probably go back to the hospital after the
baseball game and again in the morning before VBS.
Thanks for your prayers and drool . sorry to be such a "black cloud" . but
such is life.
Sandi