[Dailydrool] deaf basset

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:03:27 PST 2011

Ms.Brandy was deaf- not just basset deaf, but for real can't hear any sound at all deaf. She learned hand signals. Nothing formal- just things that worked out for her and I . Some in hindsight were not so great LOL. I would bend at the knees if I wanted her to 'come'. Worked great----also made her get up and come to me everytime I tried to get down and take a picture of her... She got very good at not 'hearing' me if she did not wish to do as I wanted. She would just look past me a little- "oops were talking to me...I didn't see you" YEAH RIGHT!
Ms.Brandy was not the type to run off- she did not need a leash. She usually kept track of where I was and stayed close. You know your dog best- do NOT allow off lead ( unless in a secure area) if you aren't sure what they'd do. Ms.Brandy had a coat as well as tags that read "I'm Deaf". This told folks she was if I was not right there to be able to do so. I have heard of scent-training deaf dogs- but have no experience with it at all. The idea is to use a scent in place of a command, or rather as a command.
Angelika