[Dailydrool] Today's Calendar Boys

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 07:58:23 PST 2011

Cowboy and Rupert grace your Dailydrool calendar today, on my nephews 1st
birthday. The photo was taken last spring at dog beach in Coronado.

Cowboy is 4. He came to me in 2006 at 4 months old and arrived on my 23rd
birthday. Best birthday gift I ever received! He was a good dog right from
the beginning, barely ever causing trouble. He is sensitive, independent,
extremely playful, and the love of my life. Before he even arrived, I'd
found the drool to prepare myself for what was coming. I am so happy I did!

Through the drool I learned about rescue, and then pawticipated in my first
shelter pickup, foster and transport. Farley was a stinky, skinny hound who
stayed with us about a week before catching his own private flight up north
to Daphneyland, where he was later adopted. After that I was hooked. When
Cow was about 2.5, I took him to a dog event at the park. There were vendors
and agility courses, frisbee shows and of course dogs up for adoption. All
different breeds, so when I saw Rupert walking around with his adopt me
vest, I immediately called the James. He instructed me to "step away from
the hound" and to come straight home, with only Cowboy. I obeyed, but then
the nagging began. "Can't we just go meet him?" "Cowboy seemed to like him"
"We won't bring him home, c'mon, I promise." But the timing wasn't right, we
had James' brother and his dog living with us and didn't think we could have
a 3rd dog. SO I waited, and waited, but continued to slip Rupert's name into
conversation when I could. I also kept checking the all-breed rescue he was
with to make sure no one had adopted him.

In May 2008, James' brother and his dog moved out. "Yeah, let's just go meet
Rupert..." So we make a plan. I'll get off work early, pick up James and
Cowboy and just go check this hound out. (He was boarding at a doggy
daycare) I call as I'm getting off work, just to be sure Ru was still
available, and lo and behold they tell me was adopted that very morning! I
was devastated. Happy he'd found a home, but sad we'd waited just a day too
long before meeting him. I called James, crying like a little girl, and he
assured me we'd eventually find a hound, "there are plenty out there that
need homes." But when I arrived home, there was Rupert, already on my couch,
just waiting for a bellyrub.

Rupert was estimated to be around 2 also, but he wasn't nearly as easy as
Cowboy had been. He chewed, he barked, he followed me, he hogged the bed, he
hogged me...but he is oh-so-lovable. He is my big red lug, my silly, wild
child, and of course, the love of my life.

I love these 2 boys so much and am so happy to be a part of their lives.
They make me smile every single day, in one way or another. And ironically,
we now have James' brother and his dog living with us again, so apparently
we can handle 3 dogs. Not sure how long til they're moving out, but I see a
houndette in our future. Hehehehehe

Happy Calendar Day, Boys. Mama loves you!