[Dailydrool] Up Date on Basset Rescue of Puget Sound and Alexa Paul

Patty Crawford gusandto at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 23:58:56 PST 2011

Hi All
  We want to thank everyone who donated funds and supplies to Basset Rescue of
Puget Sound and to Alexa. We would have never been able to continue our work
without your help.
    Its been 10 months since Alexa and JP Paul lost their house to fire. As a
rescue we laid low. Yet still have place around 25 hounds durning this time with
the help of foster families. Before the fire Alexa housed all of the rescue
hounds at her home.

    I pleased to announce that Alexa and JP moved back into the new
house February 1. Its beautiful and the hounds have their wing, including a
sleeping room, spa area and lounge room that they allow the humans in to hang
with them. Right now the hounds have only access to a small part of the yard
because the fence was damaged and was not included as part of the house rebuild.
The side yard  fence should be complete this week and over the next month the
rest of fence will be done. We have great people that have stepped up and helped
out, we can not thank them enough.
    I can say BRoPS is no longer laying low. We are up and running full bore. We
have bassets in foster homes, 1 Sr.bonded pair waiting for a foster home plus at
Alexa's house is another Sr. bonded pair, and a Sr. in hospice care. On Thursday
Alexa took in 4 puppy mill bassets. 3 male 1 female all unaltered flee infested
and scared. Let me tell you that Alexa's contractor did awesome with the design
of the hound wing. With the sleeping room door shut and the lounge door shut she
was able to bring them right in to the spa area (mud room with a dog bath tub)
and give them all flee baths. Then she was to take them into the sleeping room,
its small with a solid easy to clean floor. It is set up with crates for the
hounds and a bed/chair for a human or hound and a dog door to the small back
yard pen. These guys had been brought up from Texas, kept in a horse trailer for
a while. Back in Dec a woman took on all the dogs that had been brought up total
of about 120 dogs only 6 are bassets. The city told her she had to get her
number down so Alexa has been working with her. It took her a long time to trust
and make the choice to give us some of the hounds. At first we thought we were
only to get 2 but she showed up with 4. She had done well with getting weight on
them but she didn't have the money to get them fixed or the resources for
socializing. Alexa started socializing by just being with them. On Sunday
several of us went over so they would be exposed to different people. It was
very interesting just sitting in the sleeping room talking and not touching the
hounds. They would get curious and come over sniff and then run away. As the got
more comfortable we could let them sniff our hands then gently scratch their
chin. This is going to be a long process. Julie Stevenson was there, and she
is will be going over to the house during the day for human interaction plus she
will be the taxi to the vet.
I wish everyone could have seen Alexa's face when I got their Sunday I could
tell she felt at home. She loves the house and loves having hounds that need her
and JP's help.
    Great things have come out of the ashes of the old house with more to come.
Thank you again for your support

Patty Crawford

Gus http://www.dogster.com/dogs/742885
Tallulah http://www.dogster.com/dogs/742936