[Dailydrool] diet for basset in renal failure

Jane Lyons jane at robertlyonsphotography.com
Sat Mar 12 06:48:48 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

Our basset Jackie, age 13 1/2, was recently diagnosed with renal
failure.  Our vet put him on  Purina NF food, plus omega 3 supplements
and a supplement to lower phosphorous in his blood.  Jackie is used to
quality food, and the ingredients in the prescription food seem less
than ideal.  Has anyone had any experience with this food or another
prescription dog food, or has anyone prepared home cooked meals for
their basset in renal failure.  Jackie normally has a great appetite and
he does not like this food even though I am only feeding him 1/2 his
meals with this and the other 1/2 is his regular food, which is Innova
senior and Evo canned  (not the all meat variety, the chicken and turkey
balanced formula).  I know I have to reduce protein levels, but is there
a healthier way to feed other  than this prescription food, which seems
like crap to me.  thank you in advance for any and all help.  Please
feel free to respond off list.

Sincerely, Jane
food slave to Jackie and April