[Dailydrool] The Humiliation of Conley

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:31:41 PDT 2011

We have been doing a lot of work (involuntarily) in the yard lately. The
dogs of course find this terribly exciting, especially as it has meant they
have to stay inside because DadPerson has had the big gate open.
Well today it is beautiful. It is 58 in the sun and there are no bugs so I
have bungeed the back door open so the dogs may come and go as they please.
I do this every year for two or three days, until the bugs start. The dogs
love it.

So they have been wandering in and out, checking in, going out. Hi Mom, you
still here? Ok, Bye.
And after awhile I noticed my sidekick, Conley, wasn't checking in.

So I went out. 1 dog, 2 dogs, 3 dogs........wait.
One Two Three.......where is four? Cooper Nigel and Llewis were all standing
beside me, staring blissfully into space. I called. No answer. I made sure
the gate was shut and it was. I went inside and checked. No Conley. I went
out again and called. Nothing. Not a sound.
I said to Cooper, "Where's Conley?"  If I ask him where Llewis is, he will
go out and find him and bring him in. Cooper stared at me blandly. "Who?"
I checked the shed.
I checked behind the shed.
I checked the hole John had dug behind the shed. (It's a long story.)
I called and called and called. I was starting to panic when Cooper finally
hopped across the yard to the back fence and sat down.
AHA!
I followed.
I have built a double fence to keep the dogs off the main fence and thus
limit (ahahahhha) their fence fighting with the dogs in back. The other day
John propped a huge board up against there. I had gone out this morning with
the dogs to take some photos and blocked off the space between the fence and
board, because GUESS WHO had been going back there, found a passage to the
main fence and began teasing Oreo and Quentin who live behind us. I peered
behind the board. There, covered with mud from trying to dig under the big
board back into the yard, was Conley: tail down, ears down--he was trapped.

I did let him out. But I have to tell you, I was tempted....he is always
getting into places he should not be. I don't know how long he was back
there, it may have been as long as 45 minutes. Or as short a time as ten. He
didn't ahroo when called, and the others clearly felt he was getting what he
deserved. He slunk out, muddy, wagging his tail between his hocks--he
thought I was angry. When I laughed he jumped on me, knowing he was fully
forgiven. Now I have laundry to do.....

MomPerson to Nigel,(Who?) Llewis(WHo?) Cooper (Who?) and Conley
(MEMEMEMEMEMEYOUDORKS!!!!!!)