[Dailydrool] honoring our departed hounds

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 16 11:38:09 PDT 2011

So much sadness with many beloved hounds departed to the Bridge.  May I
offer one way to honor their memory? Foster a senior. Contact any Basset
Rescue and ask if they have a senior that needs a foster home.  I suspect
you will get YES for an answer.  You may be worried about taking on the
expense of health issues but most rescues will cover the vet expenses.  You
just provide the food and the love.  After losing our sweet Sidney last
spring at the age of 15, I said no more seniors for a while.  That lasted
about 3 days because Copper needed a foster home for a few days.  The few
days turned into  months and then foster failure because I could not let her
go.  Copper will be 13 next month and she is a joy.  She has taught our Hank
(another foster failure) how to play and she is the biggest flirt.  She is
not currently on any prescription meds, just glucosamine and fish oil.  But
you don't need to foster fail, just foster.  People aren't exactly lining up
to adopt seniors, though we do get a few.  If you live in MN, WI or IL take
a look at this sweet pair and think about whether or not you have a spot on
your couch for Sadie May (12)  and Abbie May (10), a sweet senior bonded
mother/daughter pair currently in the kennel waiting for a foster home
http://bassetbuddiesrescue.org/basset/2011/02/sadie-may-1838-abbie-may-1839/

Lisa and the MN Woofers

Ella Marie, Hank, Copper, foster Molly and Sid ATB