[Dailydrool] Snoopy at the Dog Park

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 14:48:06 PDT 2011

Ok, so like I said our family is new to bassets.  Our lab loves the dog park and
we go all the time.  Snoopy DOES seem to like the dog park ... but he doesn't
really seem to get it.  He AAHHHRRROOOOs the whole blooming time.  Seriously.
If it is just a couple of dogs we know then I let him off lead because like I
said he doesn't bite or anything.  He's not well mannered, that much is
certain.  He'll charge up to each dog and AAHHHRRROOO at them and even get right
in their face and as long as they acknowldge that he is master of the universe
then he just charges off and AAHHRRROOOs at the next dog.  After that's settled
then he plays ball with his Lab (Cyrus) and whoever else wants to play ball.
Cyrus and I are quite embarrassed by his displays.  Although I must give Cyrus
credit ... once or twice another dog has taken offence and offered to kick
Snoopy's butt and Cyrus (who is 110 lb hunting Lab) will swoop in and get
between his little brother and trouble.  When there are dogs we don't know I try
to keep Snoopy on lead because he does not follow standard dog park protocol and
sooner or later somebody is going to kick his butt (rightly so) and I'm going to
wind up footing the vet bills.  SERIOUSLY.  And it turns out that even pastrami
doesn't work at the dog park.

So is Snoopy's behavior at the dog park due to his tragic past (owner died and
family left him stray to fend for himself and animal control picked him more
than a month later skinny and sick)?  I kinda don't think so because he didn't
do this stuff until we'd had him a couple of weeks and he decided to keep us.
Is this normal for a basset??  Should I hire a dog head shrink?  Or maybe I need
one for me?  For Cyrus?  Right now Cyrus and I are discussing all of this and
Snoopy is taking a nap.  Typical.

--Dale