[Dailydrool] snoopy at the dog park

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:57:32 PDT 2011

I feel like an idiot. I re-read Snoopy at the dog park and I have to agree
with Dan that it is probably a Basset move to get the pack moving and
playing, a basset-greeting. I have seen this behavior at Waddles when the
dogs are allowed to run loose. One always starts it. I guess I would suggest
you take my training advice with a grain of salt and only if you are
determined to stop him from doing this. I think it's dangerous to charge an
unknown dog but as I implied I think dog parks are dangerous unless your dog
is well and truly dog-socialized.
The catch is this:
depending on the early early period of a dog's life, he either learns to
read dog signals or not. Puppy mill dogs often are unwittingly naive about
what other dogs are saying--they have been taken too early from home and Mom
to learn the subtle signs-- a turned head, a curved body, an upright tail
and tippy-toe stance, and so they get in trouble. It's not their fault, and
I do not think a human can teach them the socialization skills they need.
These dogs never learn.
So. If Snoopy stops this behavior on his own after the first few minutes in
the dog park, it is probably just his nature. That he never shuts up is of
no consequence. He is probably overwhelmingly delighted to be there, simply
voicing his enthusiasm. Who knows-- maybe he was part of a hunting pack. As
long as he stays out of fights and isn't consistently challenging other
dogs, he'll probably be fine.
 If you want to extinquish the behavior, then try what I suggested. It may
not work anyway. Bassets have a way of ignoring our best advice.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper, who still will not be going
to the dog parks.