[Dailydrool] Reintroducing the Basset Hound Rescue League

jkrames at aol.com jkrames at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 17:38:22 PDT 2011

Susan Booker and I wouldlike to elaborate on my recent posting about Arlene Kahn and the Basset HoundRescue League (BHRL) in Maryland.  We areconcerned that some people may think that this 501c3 organization no longer existswhen it is, in fact, alive, well and barking up a storm!

The BHRL began doingrescue work over 25 years ago and, although many long-time Droolers are awareof Arlene’s work, her efforts are not as easily recognized these days.  BHRL is on the web at www.bassethoundrescueleague.net,but because Arlene does not own acomputer she relies on other worker bees to communicate for her.  Still, Arlene continues to place around 200dogs a year; primarily basset hounds, but also dachshunds, corgis, hound mixes,and some other mixed breeds.  Most BHRLdogs waiting to be placed are in foster care, but some are in kennels either inNorth Carolina or Reisterstown, MD. Naturally, the BHRL is always happy to receive contributions and is insearch of additional forever and foster homes, as well as more means of groundtransportation.

I am eternally gratefulto the BHRL and want to make sure that it is not forgotten.  I adopted my bassets Mabel (aka "theevil one") from the BHRL in July 2009 and Jackson (the notoriouslydisobedient one) in February 2010. Those efforts also put me in touch with adevoted animal advocate, Joan Fetter, who handles the website and Petfinderconnections for the BHRL, and who at that time was also responding to allemails.  That, in turn, led to me takingon all BHRL email responsibilities. Thanks to a posting on the Daily Drool inwhich I asked for interested volunteers, I recently put my email duties intothe capable hands of the wonderful Susan Booker who is doing an outstandingjob. Susan has a wealth of computer and organization knowledge and ideas forthe BHRL.  It’s a really exciting timefor anyone else who might be interested in helping out this great organization,so please let us know!  You can reach usat bhrl at bassethoundrescueleague.net or bhrl.susanbooker at gmail.com.  Susan gets the emails sent to either address.

As Arlene says on theBHRL site… “It's always a time tobe thankful for the simple things in life: a warm bed, a satisfying meal andthe companionship of friends and family you love. BHRL has been working to provide these very basic things and more toBasset Hounds and other hounds in need.”  We look forward to workingwith you all, maintaining this tradition of service to the hounds we all loveand their people.

Jane Kramer