[Dailydrool] The Bridge, friends, and Dogs Going There

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:17:35 PDT 2011

As I began to despair of so many of our Daily Drool Dogs going to the Bridge recently I tried to look at it a different way.  Mind you, I am not quite there yet, but I am getting there.

There are not two of us who have lost dogs recently and are looking to one another for support.  We are not losing dogs due to ignorance or neglect.  There are HUNDREDS of us, befriending and supporting one another, sharing the joys and dividing the griefs.  When we lose a dog, it is mostly an old dog to great old age or illness that we fought and supported, palliatively or aggressively, with all means available to us through modern science and the power of prayer.

We share advice and knowledge.  We share births and deaths.  We rescue, we show, we whelp, we care and we love.  It is all about the dogs.  It is also all about the humans and the friendships and support network we have here.

I love you all.  I cry with you all.  I rejoice with you all.  Thinking about the dogs we have lost in the past year.  Those souls are still around - looking down on us - maybe returning in another little furry body or in a first evening star or a double rainbow.

Being Sicilian, I can't do the proper Irish toast on St. Patrick's Day, but here is to Holly Berry and Noah, to Elder Clara and Grace, to Sweet Lottie, all the HoPpers and Bounders who have gone to the Bridge, to Zephyr and to my dearest Charles, to Purple and to all the other houndies who have left us this year and last, and the past 50 years, as we will never forget a single one of them.

In DoG we Trust.

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , RESKU , HORSEKU and DUFFY TO THE RESCUE with TOM SCHRECK!