[Dailydrool] Snoopy at the Dog Park-sounds like Duncan

Barbara Sorensen b.a.sorensen at att.net
Fri Mar 18 09:15:33 PDT 2011

That is what Duncan does!  He runs up to each dog he meets and bellows in their
face, and then runs off to bark at another dog.  Unlike Snoopy, he keeps it up,
though.   Unlike Snoopy, Duncan really doesn't have a tragic past, either.  He's

never been abused, maybe a little neglected at his first home.  He was the
outdoor dog while they had a Jack Russell terrier for in the house.  Since
coming to us 6 1/2 years ago, he has been a pampered house basset.

Most of the dogs just look at him like he's crazy and their people laugh at
him.  He sometimes does the barking thing with people, too.  Most of them give
him a pet and he trots off to the next one.  It seems to be just Duncan's way of

saying hello.  We have been concerned that some dog will take it as a sign of
agression, but so far, no problem at the big dog park.  It seemed to be more of
a problem when we went to the very little dog park near our house.  Where
everyone has more room, it's fine.   We do keep a much closer eye on him when
children are present because he jumps up on them.  Duncan adores kids, his first

family had three boys and I think he misses the playing and roughhousing.

Barb, mom to Copper, Wilbur, Duncan and Buddy the not-a-basset with Max and
Gretta (ATB)