[Dailydrool] The Posting of Condolences and other things

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:49:52 PDT 2011

My experience has been that the Daily Drool is a place where I (or you) may
post things about our dog(s) when things are good, or bad: when the dogs are
hurting or dying, and get support, suggestions, caring and thoughfulness
that is lacking in the rest of the world we inhabit, where the death of a
dog is not infrequently greeted by "Well it's just a dog" or "Can't you get
another?" The Drool is a world where it is safe to be sad, to grieve, and
someone will be there to hug me, hold me, tell me it's ok to cry, to feel
that emptiness.

It is also a PUBLIC  FORUM (more or less). If others do not wish to read
about the sadness, or the joy of memories, then they needn't read them. The
death of a beloved pet is not a contest for popularity. None of us has a
dog  more valuable than anybody else's  except to each individual person.
Some are better known to the Drool readers, some are not.

The idea that we should not do this, that we cannot say what we feel
regarding the loss of a dog on the Drool publicly seems counter-productive
to me. Am I, then, to write each person indivdually to tell them that my (to
me) amazing dog has died? That my heart is broken? That I am numb with anger
and grief and disbelief? And they are to write to me privately saying oh so
sorry?
Because someone is *bored* with the condolences? Because a few people think
it is a waste of their time? Because someone arbitrarily decides the Mods
have better things to do? Have they complained? I missed that post.

If the Drool has devolved into a place where what is good for the few is all
that is allowed, then it is not the Drool I belong to. It is not the Drool I
want to read. It is not the Drool I need. It is someone else's.
If you are offended by the number of caring people expressing their
sympathy-- most of us have been there and understand how much it means--
then perhaps you need to re-examine your computer. Most of them have a
"delete" button. You can  enjoy your day without the messiness of those who
care.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley & Cooper
to Warf ATB, Walker ATB, Zelda ATB, Mitchell ATB, Quiller ATB

And thank you to those of you who have helped me through the really rough
spots in the past.