[Dailydrool] Modest Proposal

Pam Watkins pam10447 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:07:02 PDT 2011

I very seldom post to the Drool but, I find I must in this instance.  I read
the Drool for information, to laugh and yes, to cry when one of our babies
makes their trip to the Bridge.   I have not met them or their slaves but, I
cry.  We all know how special these wonderful bassets are and to loose one
is heartbreaking.   There are some that I have met and I shall treasure
those meetings forever.  Cakie...I will always remember her in her pink
leathers....how beautiful she looked.  The Bounders...I have met them and
smile when I think of them.  Many others I have met and petted at waddles.
Three years ago I met a beautiful girl, Miss Elder Clara.  I am one of the
few who has been honored enough to meet and pet her.  And yes, I have fallen
under her spell.  Deb is one of the most special people I have ever met.  We
have become friends and traveling buddies.  Through Deb and Elder Clara,
(who will always remain "My Girl") I found the wonderful world of senior
hounds.  I had been wanting to adopt another basset (Henry was almost 2) and
had thought about a 3 yr old.  After meeting Deb and hearing about the
seniors and after falling completely under the spell of My Girl, I knew then
it would be a senior.  No one works harder for the seniors than Deb - always
keeping their plight in the forefront and raising funds for those in need.
Do some hounds touch our lives...you had better believe it.  Clara touched
so many lives - that is why there was such an outpouring at her passing.  I
still cry when thinking of her.  Does that mean we don't care or have
compassion for any others...No, it doesn't.  I can't believe the number of
babies that have gone to the bridge in the last few weeks. It is
heartbreaking.  Before anyone throws stones, think of those who have lost a
piece of their heart.  They are grieving and don't need to be insulted -
they hurt enough.  This is my two cents.
Pam
Henry and Thelma - sending drool and hugs to all in need