[Dailydrool] Buster, my therapy dog, is going home

Kathy Kontrim oahiggins at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:54:09 PDT 2011

When my sweet Oliver died on New Year’s Day, my equally sweet nephew let me “borrow” his hound, Buster, for a while so that my house would not be so empty.  So, my nephew and family returned to St. Louis and left Buster in Memphis with me.  Well days turned into weeks… then there were snowstorms and travels and weeks have become months.  However, spring break is over and it is time to take Buster back to his people.  So on Thursday, Buster and I will be headed north.

Over the past 3 months, Buster and I have forged quite a friendship.  We have come to respect each others privacy – He hides his bones wherever he wants, and I don’t follow him and I pretend not to see his treasures, even if I trip over them.  He shares space on the couch.  He stretches out and I squeeze in where I can – you get the idea.  I am really going to miss Buster.  He has been a lifeline for me in my time of grief – and a great therapy dog.  Not so much a guard dog, unless the house is under attack by squirrels.  But still, he was exactly what I needed.  My nephew is only 10 and I am not sure he understands what an amazing thing he did for me.  I have been crying over taking Buster home, but I know he will be glad to be back at his house.  (Although, Aunt Kathy’s house has been like a resort vacation for him!)
Here are some pictures hopefully accessible) of Buster, my therapy dog:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=94706&id=1587122897&l=9b9455c1c4

 For me, I begin another chapter next week as I welcome a new puppy into my life - Herbert Oliver Higgins.  I am excited about my new bundle of fluff.  I don’t think I’ll be spending too much time playing games on the computer once Herbie arrives!

Kathy and Oliver A. Higgins ATB
and Buster B. Higgins(don’t let anyone move my stuff, I’ll be back to check on all of it!)