[Dailydrool] How do you get your basset up on stuff?

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 22 09:52:51 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Snoopy's mom here, as many of you already know I'm a bit clueless.  I know that
bassets shouldn't be allowed to jump down because they can hurt themselves.  But
our Snoopy doesn't jump UP too well, either.  Snoopy seems fine physically, he
can do the basset 500 no problem, he charges around playing ball and can really
move at the dog park if anybody wants to play chase, and he can certainly PULL
if he sees something and wants to get to it on a dog walk.  Now, Snoopy is a
HUGE 70 lbs but his belly does NOT touch the ground and you can see his ribs.
The vet says his weight is perfect for his size.  He is a HUGE bell hound
basset.  He's REALLY hard to lift, especially for me.  And he cannot get up
anything higher than a regular stair tread (6 inches).  To get him into the car
I have to lift him by his harness to get the front end of him up and into the
back seat floor.  From there he can get up on the hump and from there to the
seat.  Mostly we lay on the floor to cuddle him because he can't make it up onto
the couch without help and we're afraid of hurting him (or ourselves)  lifting
him up.

So how is everybody getting their bassets in and out of the car?  I see all this
great big bassets up on couches ... how did they get up there?

BTW ... what's the deal with wool pants??  You wouldn't BELIEVE Snoopy's
reaction to wool pants ... you'd think I'd put on a sheep.

Anyway, any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks,
Dale